Saturday 13 August 2011

On the road again, I just can't wait to get on that road again...

Title says it all. We're back travelling cross-country. We're heading back to the car. We managed to get a little money in the city, and we're putting it towards petrol. Everyone aches. Sleep on the hard ground and trudging dozens of miles with everything you own on your back will do that to you.

Rachel's faring the worst. As I said last time, she's not finding it easy to uproot herself like this every couple of days, especially to a girl who's used to a fair amount of domesticity. We found her only a little while after she'd run away from home, and she's still new to a lot of things, though under Lianne's watch, she's caught up quickly. Lianne's certainly been more patient than Natalie was or is to me, even now, or than Shannon is with just about any of us. But even with her support, Rachel's still faring poorly. She still cries at night. My tent is generally next to hers, and so I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can hear her, and it's not my place to tell.

It is hard, of course. For all the good it did us, the security of brick walls can't be underestimated. Tents, even with locks on them and knives in our hands, are wide open to attack. That's more stress. More weight to carry.

I'm too tired to write right now. There'll be another, less rambling post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment